(15 March 2020)
Just an update from the team at PEAK in connection with the current situation concerning COVID-19.
We are following the recommendations and guidelines as issued and updated by the NHS, the Government and Public Health England so will be operating ‘business as usual’ for as long as possible. This means that unless advised otherwise, all booked appointments (in clinic or at home as applicable) WILL be going ahead as planned.
We ask that any clients who have already booked, or who are arranging appointments with the team, let us know if they have travelled outside of the UK within the past 2 weeks (and if so, where to/from) and, more importantly, if you develop any new respiratory symptoms (in particular a fever and/or dry and persistent cough) as we may need to discuss rearranging your appointment.
The current advice if you think you have coronavirus infection, however mild, is that you do not leave your home for 7 days from when your symptoms started. This will help to prevent the spread of infection to your friends, colleagues and others in the community. It is very important to stay away from those individuals who are more vulnerable, such as the elderly and those with underlying health conditions.
You do NOT need to go to your GP/hospital or call NHS 111 to go into self-isolation. However, if your symptoms worsen during home isolation or are no better after 7 days, the advice is to then contact NHS 111 (either online or by telephone). For a medical emergency, call 999.
- Aim to stay in a well-ventilated room (with the door closed if possible) to keep clean air circulating as much as possible.
- Do not share toothbrushes, food and drinks (including utensils/cups/glasses/plates etc), towels, washcloths and bed linen.
- Use your normal detergents and bleach to clean down shared surfaces (particularly in the kitchen and bathroom) as these will still be effective in removing the virus from hard surfaces.
- Try and stay at least 2 metres (about 3 steps) away from other people in your home if possible.
- Wash your hands regularly for at least 20 seconds, each time using soap and water (or an alcohol-based hand sanitiser).
Keep in touch with friends and family over the phone or via social media and remember that as you are able, keeping up with some general light activity will enhance your mental and physical wellbeing. Have a word with your physio about some exercises you can do safely within your own home and we can set you up with one of our online programmes to keep you active.
Plan ahead and make sure you have everything you may need for a full 7 days at home. This may include food, supplies and medication. However, this does NOT mean panic buying!!
Further advice can be found on the following websites:
The team here at PEAK wish you (and your nearest and dearest) good health over the forthcoming weeks and months. We will keep you informed of any changes that may need to be made as quickly as we can but please bear with us in the circumstances. Thank you for your understanding and co-operation.